Friday, November 9, 2007

Crazy Cartoons

I cannot seem to get the cartoon songs out of my head today. I have run around town picking up stuff, and I have been singing all the morning songs. There is Dora, Diego, Blue's Clues, and all the morning favorites on Nick and Noggin. This morning's song in my head was from none other than Genevieve's most favoritiest cartoon, Backyardigans. This morning was the episode that makes me think of my dad. It was Samurai Pie on today. They start off the show with the song Samurai Pie. It goes something like....

Pie-ya Pie-ya
I make pies like a Samurai

As the show goes on, he has a young apprentice who wants to learn to make pie. They then break into song singing....

Do you wanna make pie? Yes I wanna make pie.
Let me see it in your eyes. Yes I wanna make pie.
Then try this exercise...

As I say, this episode makes me think of my Dad. When he was here one time, he was watching Genevieve while I was showering. The whole day he'd sing it to Genevieve. Now every time we see it, we call Dad. We chuckle and Dad sings the song. We didn't call today because the same show was on yesterday afternoon. We called last night, and she jabbered at Dad for about 15 mins. Every now and then I'd catch a real word. There was a Sammy, Bo Bo, Pablo, and Hey. I guess she knows what she is saying and that is all that matters.

We were so worried about her speaking. She was a "late" walker. She didn't even start to try until she was a year old. We found out among all the other issues she has, she had so much fluid in her ears that she really couldn't hear much if any at all. They determined this is why she didn't start to try and walk before a year. After her 1 year appointment when we discovered this, she went on meds to help dry up her ears. It didn't seem like very much time had gone by and she was running everywhere. Because of the fluid in her ears, she had/has some speech delay. We did an initial evaluation, a hearing test, and a full evaluation. Each time they showed slight delay in speech but not enough to enroll her in the free program for therapy. They also let me know that she was very advanced in gross and fine motor skills. Now we get a lot of comments on how much she talks for her age. It's funny how you worry about your kids and if they are behind or not. You think they may be, and then all of a sudden they surprise you and jump ahead of the game. Because of this, I have tried not to worry as much. Her doc is on top of it. She does really good with Genevieve and checking on things if she is worried. So that has been my new goal....Not to worry about milestones as much. I guess you can believe it when you see it :)

No comments: