Monday, November 26, 2007

And It's Begun

The holidays are now upon us. As it is known in our house, "The Season of the Ham." Ever since my husband and I got married, the holiday has been known as this. It all started with me being goofy one holiday season. I started singing Christmas Carols and every word would be ham. I love his mom's ham a lot, and I wait all year for it. Forget the turkey, I want the ham. After many rounds of Oh Ham Ham Ham (Oh Christmas Tree), we just stuck with "The Season of the Ham."

This time of the year is one of many feelings for me. I love this time of the year. I love how family seems to come together and have a lot of fun. We spend a lot of time with each other, and we eat a lot of food. It seems to be a time of year that we all just sit back and remember things from the past and where things are headed the next year.

We don't do much in the way of gifts, so that isn't ever anything that is big on our list. That whole thing started right after we were married too. We didn't have much money at all. My husband was still in school, and we worked 4 jobs between us to make it. When you have to work that many jobs, you don't usually take what little money you have to spend on things you maybe think you want.

I remember our first Christmas after we were married. I really wanted a down blanket. There was one at Target that was about 10 dollars. It was a Christmas print one, but that didn't matter. I loved the way it felt. My husband and I talked about money that year, and we both agreed that it would better benefit us not to buy gifts for each other.

Christmas Eve came, and we did gifts at our house with his parents. We had taken what little money we had left and spent it on gifts for our families. I don't remember anything I got or gave that year...except one thing. After all the gifts were opened at our house, and we had been sitting for a few mins, my husband left the room. He came back in the living room with a down throw from Target. I almost cried when he gave it to me. I felt so bad that I hadn't got him anything. I told him that I don't know how many times. I still have that throw. In fact, I'm using it right now as I sit typing this. I have used it so much in the past 5 years, and I don't see that ending anytime soon. He keeps telling me to get rid of the throw, but I refuse.

This year has been crazy. There have been a lot of ups and downs recently, and until last week, we weren't even sure that my husband was going to be around. Not only have we wondered about that, but also many other things. Life is just crazy in our house right now. it seems like things just keep going faster and faster. Does anyone else seem to think it is strange that when you were a kid things moved so slow. Now it seems like you can't keep up with it. I remember thinking as a kid how long it was until Christmas. Now it seems like it was just yesterday Christmas was here, and I just put away the decorations.

Here's to another great holiday season and a wonderful time of the year! I hope your holidays are filled with laughter, fun, joy, and love.

No comments: