Friday, January 18, 2008

Yeppie! Whoo Hoo! Alright!

So if you can't tell from my lame attempt at a title, I now am excited. I have been waiting since Dec 21 for my son to grow into the cloth diaper stash, get rid of the nasty newborn poo, and for everything to heal up. The last two happened pretty quick. However, I decided to forgo the extra small sized diapers because Genevieve was big and grew fast, and I thought that the same may be true for Samuel. I didn't want to buy a stash of diapers that I could only use for a couple or a few weeks. I thought that I would ask a friend if I could barrow them, but I didn't do this. So, I have been waiting for almost a month now for him to grow into what I already had.

I washed all his small Fuzzi Bunz that I had and got them ready to go last weekend. The day before yesterday I was running out of diapers, and I realized I needed to get to the store and buy some more. I decided to give my Fuzzi Bunz a try and see if they would fit yet. They are still a little big, but they fit and hold everything in. So I am able to use them now. I am so excited.

Now one might ask and have asked, "You are excited about cloth diapers? Don't they poo on them?" And I will say now, YES! I am excited about cloth. I don't use them for the environment really. Although this is a plus to using them, it is not my motivation like a lot of people I know. It comes down to one thing...MONEY. I use cloth because I am cheap, and I'd rather have diapers that I can reuse and save money than to buy disposables all the time. As they always say about things like food savers, veggie keepers, etc, disposable diapers are cash in the trash.

Now if you go look at the going rate for these diapers you might wonder how you can actually save money because of the cost of these things. If you buy smart, you can actually save a ton of money. All the diapers I have bought total for both kids has cost us around 300. That may sound like a lot, but that would only be about 30 bags of diapers at 10 each (I do use Pampers or Huggies when I buy diapers). How long does it take to go through 30 bags? Well if you use 5 diapers a day that's 6 days a bag. So if you use a little less, call that about a bag a week. So 4 to 5 bags a month. At that rate you are looking at about 6 months. So I have spent money for about 6 months worth of diapers. I had Genevieve in cloth for 9 months, and Samuel has a long time to go.

Anyway, I won't go on, but if you do it right, you can save a TON of money. And on the plus side, if they are in great shape, you can then resale them for about 80% to 90% of what you bought them for. Oh, and if you haven't seen cloth diapers these days, go take a look. They have a wonderful thing called pocket diapers. No folding, pinning, etc required.

I guess I'm a nerd, but this is my way to save money around our home. It saves me from having to pay for all those bags of diapers. That and I really hate it when you don't realize it, and in the middle of the night...oops we are very low on diapers :) I will now step off my soap box and move on to a new topic tomorrow.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love that you love cloth diapers. I shipped out your mediums yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I want to Thank you for telling me about the cloth diapers. It is so much easier for me. I don't have to visit walmart as much because I don't have to buy diapers. Even my mom loves Ryans lime green, and animal print ones. (Don't fall over) but they are even easy enough to use that my husband can change him. (not that it happens very often)