Friday, August 1, 2008

We Made It

I can now happily report that the kids and I made it out to Tribune yesterday.  Genevieve woke up early so we took off after the car was loaded.  It was a somewhat long trip (it's only about 5 hours) only because there isn't much to look at.  There are a few towns you hit, but the bulk of what you see is trees, cows, and fields.  Samuel got upset just as we were leaving the last town before you arrive.  I kept saying..."Only a few more miles Buddy."  However, I don't think there is much reasoning with a 7 month old.  

The time change has really got to me this time.  I haven't always had issues with traveling between the two time zones.  I think that a lot of the issue has to do with the fact that my husband is currently living in Eastern Time and us in Central.  I am constantly looking at things from the stand point of being in both.  I have to think about what time it is for him before I call, or things like that.  Now I have to "live" in three zones (add Mountain to the above).  That is making it more challenging for us this time.

It has been interesting to be back.  It's like an old story I use to do in school for Forensics.  It talked about how you can never go home again.  It said something like, "Nothing is different.  Nothing has changed.  Come home."  It goes on to talk about how things even though they are not different at all by looks, everything is different and everything has changed.  That's how I feel.  I have been back in the past 10  years only 3 times.  Once was after I was out of high school and just started college, then for my dear friend Lacy's wedding, and when I was pregnant with Genevieve.  You can see people you know (some only by looks now), and they have no idea who you are.  This is what happened yesterday.  We went to lunch after we got here.  There wasn't really anyone who realized who I was.  I recognize several people, but no one seemed to know exactly who I was.  Later in the day I went to the grocery store and drug store alone, and the same thing.  People who had seen me on a very regular basis so long ago don't even know who I am anymore.  They walk past me and don't even realize that I'm back after so long.  It's actually been kind of interesting to see who and who doesn't know who I am.  

I was suppose to hang out with Lacy all day today.  She called last night, and their car broke down on the way here.  So they had to go to Goodland today and buy a new car.  While getting a new car is awesome, getting one unexpected isn't always fun.  I hope they find something great, and they don't get as stressed as I seem to get while buying cars.  We will meet up this afternoon when they get back from the big adventure.  There is a free BBQ this afternoon, and I'm all for free food.

Stay tuned for all things 10 year high school reunion :p

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad y'all made it there safely. I was wondering about you earlier as I was missing our usual chats.

That stinks about Lacy's car but I hope they found a great deal! Hope you have a wonderful time & can't wait to see all the reunion photos.

Amanda said...

Oh my word. Do you know how sad it makes me to know you're off to a ten year reunion of anything?

I remember the summer of 1996. You and I were dozing in the bed downstairs when midnight of my 20th birthday passed. I told you I was twenty, and you replied with, "you're old." Not "Wow, that's cool!" Not, "Happy Birthday!" Rather, "You're old."

Well, my darling cousin -- backatcha!

Emily said...

I figured I'd get a comment like that from you Mandi. I remember that too. I have now realized just how young 20 is. I have also learned that 30 doesn't seem too bad either. If it makes you feel better, I no longer think you are old :)