Saturday, August 16, 2008

Road Trip for a Day

Yesterday was a busy day. My best friend, Lacy, had the day off. We decided that since we were both free, we should meet up for lunch. We picked a place that was around half way, and we met up. I got up early and took Genevieve to school, and then Samuel and I took off down the road. We made really good time, and it was a nice trip. It wasn't too long, and it seemed to go quick.

Lunch was really nice. Lacy, Kevin (her husband), and I all went and had a good lunch. I did cut my pinkie pretty bad. It didn't look bad, but it was on the tip, and it hurts. It took awhile for it to stop bleeding. We talked about our reunion a few weeks ago, the kids, the upcoming move, and several other things.

After we were finished we hit the "mall" (I say it like that because it is fairly small) to do a little shopping. I don' t think either of us really bought anything for us. Our girls did get a couple of new things though. We hit up Sonic for Happy Hour though.

My relationship with Lacy has been the longest friendship I have ever had. We moved out to Tribune when I was going into the 8th grade. So if you do the math, that is 15 years. With all our moves when I was a kid, I never really had long term friends. We'd move away, my friends and I would write, and soon loose track of each other. I know that part of the reason we've stayed friends has to do with when I was in Tribune. I feel that it was easier for me to stay in contact with her because we were at an age where phone calls were normal. At 7 and 8, that isn't a thing most kids do (well maybe now days, but not in my time...remember I'm old).

Anyway, we have had our ups and downs. Our friendship has been tested several times. There have been things that have happened that could have blown most friendships out of the water. Somehow one of us always kept trying. I remember the summer my Mom had treatment for cancer. I wasn't really talking to anyone or doing anything. I had disconnected from life, and I remember a big blow up at the end of school with a lot of people. At the end of the summer, I got a letter in the mail. It was odd because I didn't ever get mail. It was a note from Lacy. She had colored the Friends (TV show) title on the top, and then she listed a bunch of fun times we had had together. The one I remember the most was something along the lines of friends making German Chocolate cakes, but never really bake it because they eat all the batter first. We had many other good times before that letter was sent, but that was the one I remember her writing about.

As Samuel and I left Hays, I felt really bad. I gave Lacy and hug, then Kevin, and then Lacy again. She told me, "I can't believe this is the last time I'm going to see you in years." I really hope her and Kevin decide to come over to Germany at some point in time. Not only would I love to see her, I'd love for her to see Europe. I will admit that I cried for part of the trip realizing just how much I'm going to miss things like this. We always have a good time no matter where we are.

Recently Lacy told me she started reading my blog. So Lacy, this one is for you! I'm going to miss you like crazy. You have been a great friend to me, and you can never be replaced. Thank you for all the great years, and thank you for not giving up on me. You always seem to know the right things to say and do, and I know that God put you in my life for that reason. We will figure out how to make it through us being in Germany. The offer always stands...If you and Kevin can make it over, you will have a place to stay. I love you!

No comments: