Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4th

First off, Happy 4th of July! This is a fun holiday, and it is always great to have an excuse to grill, eat outside, and see fireworks. I have been with my husband (dating and married) for about 8 years now. I remember just about every 4th of July since that time. Why? I don't know, but it seems to be a holiday that sticks out in our relationship. It might very well be for the fact that we hardly ever spend them together.

I remember our first 4th together I watched the fireworks on my way to work. He had just left for Europe, and he was away. I didn't do any of the grilling or anything like that. It was just me on the way to work, and I was watching the fireworks ahead of me. The next two years went the same...only he wasn't in Europe. I was usually working.

The last year we were in Wichita, I worked day shift instead of my normal evening or night shift. I spent the day at work, and I made it home in time to do a few things. I went to a party hosted by our landlords who were family friends. We grilled out at their house and had lots of sides. Later that night we all walked down to the river and sat down on the blankets there. My husband of course wasn't with me because he was the one working in the evening. It was really nice though, and I had a good time.

The year after life was very different for both of us. I was alone again, but he was not with me because he was in Iraq. That year made things different for me on the 4th. Suddenly the 4th wasn't about grilling and fireworks. The 4th was more about what happened back when our country because its own nation. There were men in those days who were doing what my husband had been doing that very night. Somehow I felt more connected to the holiday.

We did spend the 4th together every year (a whole 3) that he was doing recruiting. The first year he had to hold the flag in a presentation. The whole night people would thank him for what he was doing and had done. It amazes me how humble he is. He always responds with a simple, "You are welcome, but I haven't done anything really."

To me someone who serves in any capacity has done more than I have. There are so many of us who haven't or can't join the service. Those who do it of their own free will and put their life on the line do something that should be appreciated and commended. When someone gives up their time, being with their family, and even their life, that is something to thank someone for. So, Thank You to all those families with someone serving or who has served our great country.

So today, I want to say...HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!

No comments: