Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Parking Wars

Have you seen Parking Wars? It's a show on A&E where they show real parking authority employees in Philadelphia. They have sections that show ticketing, booting, the impound lot, and towing. I love the show. It's always so funny to see how people react to getting a ticket or towed for their tickets. Usually everyone gets really worked up, and they get confrontational. I find myself laughing and wondering why if they did something wrong are they so surprised. Well, yesterday I answered my own question.

I have started to volunteer for my Mom's office. She works at a Hospice, and they need some help around the office. So I am going and helping out. Yesterday I went to answer phones for them. I showed up about 9:00 to start helping. Well about 2 1/2 hours later things were pretty slow. I had a word fill in book in my van, so I wanted to go out and get it. I handed Samuel to Mom, and out I went. As I walked out, I noticed there was someone behind my van. As I got in the lady said, "Here you go miss, you got a ticket." I immediately asked what for. She then informed me that I had been parked longer than 2 hours. Now I looked around the lot before I parked and most parking looked to be 8 hour parking. I then asked her where it said that the spot I was in was 2 hours because I couldn't see anything even standing there. She then pointed out a sign down the way a bit, and she told me it had arrows on it to include my spot. At that time I realized that I was starting to act like the crazy people on Parking Wars. I then just said, "I'm very sorry, I'll move the van." Then I went on to ask how much my ticket was, where to pay for it, and all that fun stuff.

Needless to say I got my first parking ticket yesterday, and my grand total was a whole $2.00. I guess I'll know better than to mess with the Salina Parking Authority again. I almost thought about contesting it, but I have better things to do with my time. The signs were not clear at all, and the sign that she pointed to was about 6 spots down. Lesson learned that the spaces close to the building at Mom's office are only 2 hour parking. I thought about it later and wondered if I would have just left my car there would I have only had to pay the same $2.00 for the rest of the day. Then I told my husband that was all I needed...a boot on my van for unpaid parking tickets. :p

2 comments:

Amanda said...

$2.00? So funny! It cost more than that to pay the worker who wrote your ticket, and the paper it was written on. NUTS!

Anonymous said...

I love Parking Wars too w/ the people getting so mad. I love officer Clifford in Philly, PA, he's the best one of all, when he's across the street laughing & heckling people. I haven't been fortunate enough to get a ticket here in Salina yet, but I'll be sure to avoid it now that I know it's gonna cost me big bucks ;)