Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Little Girl ...

Genevieve is certainly growing up. Sometimes I watch her, and I wonder where the time went. She is only 2 years and 4 months (5 next week), but it seems like she's just growing like crazy. I really started to notice around my birthday (maybe because I'm thinking about getting older). I really started to listen to her talk. When she turned 15 months, we were really worried about her being delayed in speech. At 12 months they did an ear test on her, and she had no movement in her ear when noise was sent in. By 15 months the test came back all clear, but she still wasn't picking things up. Because of this, our doctor wanted her to be screened for speech delay.

The first appointment went well, and the person doing the test said she didn't think she was far enough behind to qualify for therapy, but that she would put in for a full evaluation. She had that and did not qualify.

Since then she has been growing by leaps and bounds. She has gone from not knowing a lot of things, not being able to talk where things were clear, and being really frustrated to talking in sentences, noticing things in the world around her, and talking up a storm. I have been amazed with what all she has learned. Her new thing is to say, "Love you" at bed time. I almost teared up when she told her Daddy on the phone tonight "Night Night Daddy. Love You Daddy."

Where I was going with this before I derailed myself. Today we went to the mall. She was kind of tired, but she was doing good. She started to get tired in our last store we went in. My Mom had promised her if she did well, she'd get her a cookie before we left. We had one more stop before the cookies, and as we headed that way, there was a train for little kids to ride in. Genevieve looked at it and said, "Train!" Mom couldn't resist and bought her a ride.

I stayed with Samuel as my Mom walked her to the train car. She got in with 2 other kids. She looked really nervous and had that deer in the headlight look as she passed the first time. As she rounded the corner for the second time she was all smiles. Her grin was ear to ear. She would wave at us, and to my surprise she actually sat still the whole ride. She looked like a real big girl sitting there enjoying her ride.

It was at that time I realized my baby was growing up. She was getting to be a big girl. Soon she will be in school, having sleepovers, talking on the phone, and all the things little girls start to do. I can't believe it has gone so fast.

No comments: