Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Potter, Vampires, and Games...Oh My!

Every now and then I find books worth reading and that I enjoy. I have had many over the years, but I just don't read as much as I'd like. I have a horrible time with reading comprehension. I can see the words. I can say the words. Somewhere between the eyes and the brain it scrambles though, and it makes it hard to retain the information in the book. Because of this, the books that people blaze through usually take me forever. If they are books that are what I call wordy, they can really do a number on me.

When I finally got an iPod, I discovered the world of audiobooks. I love them. When I take having to look at the words out of the equation, I retain the information a lot better. So, I have really been enjoying our library's huge audiobook selection here.

I usually come about popular book series late. I didn't want to read Harry Potter when it first came out. I wasn't ready for a book (again the whole I don't always like to read). It was about the time the first movie was due to come out. My sister had mailed me her paperback copy of the first book. I was living in Chicago at the time, and I had a long commute day. I was due to spend about 3 hours on busses and trains. I told myself if in those 3 hours I wasn't into the book, I'd just put it back in my boxes and be done with it. By the end of the day I was hooked. I read all 4 of the books that were out while I was living there. As each of the others came out, I would get them and read them. Most of my friends would get frustrated with me though because as the books got longer, so did the amount of time it took me to finish it.

I don't exactly know when the Twilight series came out, but I know that I missed that boat totally because all of the books (except Bree Tanner) were out when I started reading them. Again, I came to that series out of desperation. I had just moved to Germany, and I was suffering from the lack of TV channels. I read all those books in no time, and I have got several other friends to read them as well.

I guess that was a long way to go about telling you. All that I've finished another series. Well I did about a month ago. I had only heard of The Hunger Games in passing. People around me had been talking about them, and like normal, I resist. My best friend Lacy asked if I wanted to read them with her. I told her okay, and I set out to find them on audiobook.

I failed her because she finished them in about two seconds in April. I was finishing up a series still, and I didn't get started at the same time as she did. However, I did want to listen to them so I set off on the task to do so.

I will try and keep this as spoiler free as possible, but I am going to talk about the books now. I was taken in by these books right from the start. If you haven't read the books, the short version is that every year 2 children (ages 12 to 18) are chosen from each of the 12 districts to participate in the Hunger Games. These children are taken to the Capitol and they are then put into an arena. There is only one rule, you have to be the last one living to win. You must kill or be killed. The whole thing is televised for all of Panem to watch on TV.

What really has struck me about these books is the common lines in our world today. "Reality" TV is huge! I can't say anything because I'm an avid Big Brother fan. I wait for summer to watch 12 strangers get locked in a house. I tune in 3 times a week to see who wins power, and who is voted out of the house. I watch to see who has to eat slop all week long. While reading the books I wondered how could the world get to a place where they would watch children kill each other, but seeing how into this type of TV we are into, I don't think that it is hard to see how maybe if something were set into motion how it could happen.

The three book series takes you through horror after horror. There are twists, turns, and surprises around every page. The stories between the leading lady and her friends, those who are inspired by her, and those who want her dead are amazing. It's a wild ride that had me in tears more than once. And while I feel it has a "happy" ending, it isn't the same as most books I've read recently.

So, if you haven't read these books yet, I suggest you pick them up. They will take you on a wild and emotional ride. I don't think you will be sorry you picked them up!



No comments: