Saturday, June 7, 2008

Just a Vent Tonight

So I have been busy on trying to get all our stuff ready for our move overseas. I have been trying to figure out some things, but really, I have just put some stuff off. As the summer has started, and is clicking along, I realize that I need to get on the ball with the rest of the stuff that needs to be done. Mainly I need to get our passports going.

When you go over with the military, you have to have a no-fee passport the government issues. It has a stamp in it that is required for you to be over there and live...at least that is what I think it is for. It has some stamp in it, and you need to have it.

Anyway, I have been needing to get regular passports too. The no-fee passport is only good between the US and the country you are stationed in (for us...Germany). Now I don't know what kind of person would want to live in Germany and not go outside the country. I sure as heck am going to travel as much as I can. I am going to travel to every country I can and every place I have ever wanted to go.

So I go to the post office and I get the applications for the passports. This was before I left to visit my hubby. While there they guy informed me that for the kids both parents have to be present and sign the form. This is not good since my husband is away. I let him know he was away from the state and would not be back for awhile. He let me know that there is a form to fill out, and have notarized, and signed. I just bring that in, and we are good to go. I took the forms with me, and he did that while we were there.

Fast forward to today. I call to post to see about getting my no-fee passport. The lady was less than helpful. As she answered the phone I let her know who I was, and that I needed to get my passports. I let her know my husband already had orders with us on them, and that he was in the middle of school in GA. She then sounded like she didn't want me to come in even more. She started saying how I needed to get a form filled out and all of that because my husband couldn't come in with me. She said that we should just wait until he comes home to get them. I then explained that we would not have them back in time to travel with him if we wait. She found excuse after excuse for me to wait. It was really annoying. I found out though that I have to have the same form filled out for the no-fee passport that I have to have for the regular one. I asked her if I could use that one, and she said no that they were totally different (they aren't...they are the exact same form).

After she got over the fact that I wasn't going to wait, she then asked me why I would want to get a regular passport. I let her know that while we were there we were looking to travel, and that I thought the no-fee would not allow us to do so. She then said she realized that, but she didn't know why we wanted the regular one. Are you serious?! You would go to Germany and never see another country?

Anyway, I was not impressed with this lady on the phone. I will get everything done. Luckily my husband wasn't too upset that he would have to print, fill out, notarize, and sign the same form over again. It's just annoying that I didn't think of that before. If I wouldn't have put it off or thought twice about it, maybe I could have had both done at the same time. I guess you live and learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you. I understand how flustrating it can be when it comes to forms. I've had to fill out mulitple ones for the farm because they were suposedly "lost" I hate it even more when they will not work with you. Unless you are will your husband and then everything is yes sir, and everything goes through just fine. I hope you don't run into that problem too. Thinking of you. Hope everything goes better.