Monday, January 26, 2009

What's So Scary About Army School?

Yesterday the kids and I took off and headed to my husband's "Army School." Genevieve asks me about a hundred times a day where her Daddy is. I know how much Genevieve likes school so I told her that day was off playing at Army School. Yesterday there was a Family Day, and we decided to attend. It was about a 3 hour one way drive, but it was really nice to go see him.

We started the day off real early (well early for us). It seems really early around here because the sun doesn't even come up until 8:30. We were up, out the door, and on the road by 7:30. We headed down the road, and the kids took a nice nap. I totally enjoyed driving (although it would have been much nicer to ride so I could totally take it in) and watching the countryside. The little towns on the hill sides were amazing. All the houses were set up in the hills and the land as it was formed. Just seeing them set up was so pretty. I would have loved to see them with all the trees and greenery in bloom.

We had a great day with my husband. We didn't do a whole lot. He wasn't allowed to leave the compound the school was at. We played in his room, watched part of a movie, and just hung out around each other. The kids enjoyed playing at his desk and on the floor of his room. We took him goodies, and Samuel got to show off some new tricks. When it was time to leave, Genevieve said, "I don't want Daddy to stay at Army School. He needs to come home."

The trip home was long. It was very dark, so there wasn't much to look at. What made it the worst was the long day. I was so tired and looking into nothing made it hard. The GPS would say, "Follow the road for 53 km." I just kept thinking...I don't want to! The other thing that was crazy was how fast these people drive here. I was going 120 km/h (about 80 mph) and people would pass me like I was sitting still. They would come out of no where in the middle of the night. One second I'd look in the mirror and no one was around. The next someone would be flashing me to hurry around the car I was passing. It's nuts!

On a good note...I did dive the whole way there and back alone. I would still be nervous about driving other places, but my GPS did gain more trust :p We made it in one piece, and we are still tired. Maybe it won't be too much longer before we head out again and find something new.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Though the school part sounded a bit boring (I can't believe they wouldn't let him leave!), the drive sounded fantastic! I'm proud of you for making that trip all alone, and I'd love to know if you go back to explore some of those little town along the way.