Monday, October 29, 2007

ATC and Recruiter's Ring

So, as my cousin so nicely pointed out to me (I do love you Mandi!) it has been awhile since I have posted anything. I have a totally logical explanation, and it isn't as excuse :p My husband and I were attending ATC this past weekend. We left very early on Friday morning and didn't return until later last night. ATC is a training conference for Army Recruiters and their spouses. They have classes, time to get together with others, and a banquet and awards ceremony. We have now attended 3 of these functions, and this was by far the best one yet. We always leave Genevieve with my mom, and we go by ourselves to have some alone time. So it is a busy weekend, but one in which we enjoy our time as adults.

This year was our very last ATC. We have been to 2 others, but we know for sure that we have an out date, and I'm sure they won't have another before we leave. The classes for spouses were not too bad. I seem to learn at least one new thing every year. This year was no different. It is amazing how exciting it can be to hear that our dental insurance now covers 1/2 of mouth guards. I am in desperate need of a new one, and that is great news! Anyway, there were a few times I wanted to tell some of the women (as in the words of my husband) "Drink water and drive on." I mean what good does complaining so much do? It doesn't change anything at all. All I have found that it does is cause me to get a really bad stomach ache and my friends to stop calling for a few days. I guess I have learned in my short time as an Army wife (a whole 4.5 years) to not dwell on things you have no control over...and that is pretty much EVERYTHING in the Army. Even sitting through these sessions of the same women upset over the same things they've been going on and on about for the past 3 years, I enjoyed being an adult and not a mom.

The banquet and awards ceremony was very nice. The food was horrible, but it is every year. We pay 60 dollars for a meal that is less than stellar. We always end up going out after the ceremony for food. How sad is it that we pay that much for a meal that doesn't even fill you up or taste good? This year we walked in, and I saw a woman I had visited with the day before. She asked us to sit with them, and we did. It just so happened that the 1st Sgt and the Company Commander were at the table to. Funny thing is we always end up at the table with at least one of them each year. We never set out looking for them, but it is just funny how we always end up there.

The awards ceremony was nice too. My husband ended up getting his Recruiter's Ring. It is an award that is based all on points. It is really hard to explain the points system that goes into this award, but I will try. For each person a recruiter puts into the Army they get points. The points are based on ASVAB scores and a couple of other things. They get points when the person ships and more when they complete training. Anyway, you have to get enough points to get 3 starts on a sliver badge, a gold badge, 3 stars on that badge, and then points that go to the ring. I *think* it's about 2400 points total to get the ring. Now that everyone is confused... Anyway, we got called up on stage to shake everyone's hand, and he got his ring and certificate handed to him. I am very proud of all he has done, and how well he has done. He has worked really hard, and it hasn't been easy.

Anyway, that has been what I've been up to. It was a long weekend, and another year is over. When I get our pictures back, I will post one. We are all dressed up in our finest :) I almost didn't find a dress, but I finally did. I hope they turned out well. I'm glad that I'm stalked enough to know that if I don't blog, someone notices. Makes me feel somewhat important :) Thank you for making me feel loved today :)

No comments: