Monday, October 22, 2007

Good Times

Do you ever have one of those times where whatever you see, read, or do takes you back to the "days"? That was this weekend for me. It all started when I saw this link in an online group I visit.

http://www.mcphee.com/items/11476.html

I cannot believe they have BACON BAND AIDS! They make me think back to when I was younger. One summer my cousin came to stay with us. I don't know what got us onto the kick, but we painted strips of bacon on our fingernails.

After that thought came to mind, the whole summer came back to me. I remember days of recording videos to pass the time. My sister, cousin, and I had spent the summer making stupid movies. It all started with a pretend game show and these commercials we made up using things we found around the house. There was the salt commercial where we "put" salt in our open wounds. That was then followed by refried beans. And that was followed by the infamous Fiber Food. We all three took turns sitting on the pot talking about not being able to take a poo. We laughed so hard when we made them. Every now and then the Fiber Food commercial resurfaces, and we all get a great chuckle about it.

Later in the summer Midge and Madge were born. They were polyester leisure suit wearing sisters. They each were missing a tooth until all of a sudden it was "fixed." Mainly it was just because the black was coming off, and we needed to keep going. Midge and Madge had a few adventures, but none like the Roadkill Cafe. That started with about 20 takes of the girls running over a stuffed dog in the car. It took so many due to people stopping to see what the heck we were doing. If no one came by while filming, we had to redo it because my sister who was filming was laughing so hard it could be heard, and the camera would shake. After the dog was finally run over, we picked it up off the road with a shovel. From there that poor dog was thrown into the microwave and many other things.

I can't remember all the things that were put on film that summer, but I know we all had a great time making up things to put on the tape. Most of them were really stupid, but we were young. What can we say?!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Let me just say those were the best summers of my young life.

Taking my children to Tribune is on a list of things to do when they're just old enough to be extremely embarrassed by me. I CANNOT wait to get the "Oh, mom" along with an eye-roll. I fully intend to run over something while I'm there. You game?

Emily said...

Oh you know I'm game! I will keep my eye out for an extremely ugly stuffed dog :) It's funny how little things we did like that are so vivid and remain in our memories the way they do.