Wednesday, October 1, 2008

All You Get...


Have you ever seen those shirts that you get from those locations that everyone seems to go to or want to go? They usually say something like, "My Mom and Dad went to Disney World. All I got was this stinkin' shirt." I remember getting something like that as a kid, and I have seen that saying on post cards, shirts, buttons, and many other things. It always makes me chuckle when I see it. Well today is YOUR day! This weekend my husband and I went downtown for a Fall Festival and all you are getting is a picture of our beer mugs in my blog. Honestly if I would have remembered my camera, I would have taken pictures, but we were in a hurry that day. We also didn't take ourselves, so I couldn't just turn around. You are going to have to settle for the picture of the mugs and what you read. I promise I will be more careful about bringing my camera from now on.

Our morning went quick at the house. We woke up about 3 hours before we were to leave, but it was very busy. We decided to make a good breakfast not knowing what the day would be like. That took up a bit of time there. After we ate, we cleaned up, and got everyone ready. By that time, it was time to head out the door. We got the seats in the SUV we were going in, and we got the stroller in another person's car. They told us they were not going to drive all the way downtown because of how hard it was to find parking, and it was very expensive. We decided to go to another post that was right by a train stop.

We took the train downtown and headed down the street. It was so full. There were people everywhere. The street was narrow, and there were vendors on either side of us. I saw things for sale like baby dolls all the way to bags, glasses, wooden figures, and things like that. It was your typical stuff you would expect to see at something like this.

After a few steps down the road and passing a few booths, a wonderful aroma hit my nose. It was amazing. It made me so hungry I just had to find where it was coming from. As we passed food place after food place (none of which were producing the wonderful smell), I almost wondered if it were actually around. Then as we hit a clearing, I found it. It was a bratwurst place. They cooked different kinds of dogs, and they put them on a hard crust roll. I told my husband that is what I wanted, and he should go get me one. He emerged with the best tasting smoked sausage (it wasn't a bratwurst, but it was good anyway) I have eaten. I cannot begin to describe the party that went on in my mouth when I took a bite.

As we were eating, he spotted the beer joint right by where we were. He left to get a beer and returned with a beer and Coke in hand. I was surprised that he brought the drinks in a glass glass. In the states we are use to the paper throw away glasses that they serve us at our local drive thru. Here they are more delebrate about recycling. What you do is get the glass and a paper, coin, or something to show that you got the glass there. When you are done with the drink you bring them back. You pay a deposit for the glass when buying the drink, and when you bring it back, you get your deposit back. You don't have to take the glass back, but you don't get your deposit back either. (Hints the glasses you got a picture of)

After we were finished with the meal, we headed down the road. It was more vendors and more things to eat and see. As we neared the end of the road, you could tell there was a clearing. We pushed the stroller into the clearing and towering over us was a castel. It was amazing. Genevieve kept saying, "Look Mommy! That's where the princess lives!" She was so excited to see the castel.

After we had made it all the way down the road and back, we caught the train to head home. It was a long day, but a fun one. We were told by the people we went with that they do something like that every month. I can't wait. We might not be able to go to them every month, but it sure will be fun to catch one every now and then. Next time I promise to take a camera.

No comments: