Monday, October 20, 2008

Oh Happy Day!

My husband got a wonderful email today. It wasn't the best news in the world (our van arriving), but it is the next best thing. We found out that our advanced shipment has arrived. We just have to call and set up an appointment to have it brought here.

When you move overseas with the military, you are allowed to pack two sets of items to go over with you. The first is your advanced baggage, the second is all your other goods. When you get all the paperwork, they tell you what can and cannot go in those shipments.

With the early shipment, they put it on a plane (at least I think) to get it this way quickly. There is a certain weight limit and certain items you can bring. The description I remember was something like this...You will want to pack items that make it hard to live without for a long time. This will not include furniture, beds, big TVs, or appliances. It can include children's bedding such as cribs. Now I don't know about you, but the things that are hard to live without are my bed, sofa, and things like that. What I wouldn't give for our King sized bed and feather mattress right now. The TV thing doesn't bother me too much since we only have 8 or 9 stations to watch.

I made my husband look at our inventory this weekend (before we knew it was here) to find out some of the things we put in our shipment. I am starting to miss those little comforts that I never even thought about before. Something as small as our microwave. I am so tired of having to heat up everything on the stove top or in the oven. Something small and simple like Genevieve's chicken nuggets now take 15 mins instead of the few in the microwave. Small snacks that you can heat in the microwave and have ready in just a short amount of time can now take over 30 to 40 mins. Oh how I miss that.

Hopefully when my husband calls it will be with good news. Hopefully it will only take a day or two to get the items here. I cannot wait to see a little piece of home. I have not seen our things since early March. It will be like Christmas is already here. No need for gifts this year...just our stuff. :p

No comments: