Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I Did It!!


So it's a small feat for some, and most will think I'm crazy. I finally made my maiden voyage on the Autobahn yesterday. I have been on it a few times, but never for a trip or to go somewhere further than several kilometers away.

Yesterday my husband's parents flew into Germany. They are here for an extended visit. My husband had talked to the people who are in charge, and they told him there would be no problem in him getting off to go up to the airport. We had planned on that for about a month, and then at the last second, things changed.

Two days before we were to pick them up, a PT test was scheduled. He visited with a few people to see if there was any way he could do it the next week when everyone else was going to be taking theirs. They told him there was no way, and he could reschedule, and to make other arrangements. So we did...Me, alone, and at 6 a.m.

I was lucky enough that my neighbor upstairs had come down that afternoon. I told her I was very nervous about getting to the airport because of going alone. She told me it was very easy. Then she said that she'd go with me if I liked. SCORE! I was so happy she offered. I took her up on that offer, and we made plans for that day.

We woke up, took my husband to his PT test (which we found out about 30 mins down the road that it was canceled due to weather...he could have gone with us), and we headed out. We made it through town (a way I have never been, but thanks to my friend, she got me out), and we headed up the autobahn. It was very slick and foggy out. So at first, it was slow going. As we move closer to the airport, the weather got better, and the fog lifted a bit. My friend asked me if I was comfortable driving, and I told her I needed to be. She then said, "You aren't going to drive 40 are you?" I guess a friend of hers got nervous and only drove 40. I couldn't believe that at 80 mph that people were still passing me like I was going as slow as a granny.

Long story short, we made it there in one piece. After a short problem with parking, we made it into the airport, and to the gate. We made it home in one piece, and I'm so proud that I made it. I wish I could report that I did it ALL on my own, but I am so very thankful to have had help. Thank goodness for people who help other like my friend helped me. Now it's on to bigger fish.

No comments: