Monday, December 15, 2008

Great Food, Good Fun! (and Why Receiving Lines Stink)


While my husband was a Recruiter, formals were a normal thing. Every year there was one at ATC. I'd get all dressed up in a ball gown, my hubby in his Blues, and we'd head out. With a new unit and new station comes changes in routine and events. This unit does a Christmas Social.

This year it was held at the Schwetzingen Castle. The picture is of our banquet room before dinner. The link shows some pictures of the entire castle. I can say a lot about the Social this year, but if you want me to sum it up, it was very nice. We had a good time. We did not get pictures taken of us because we have enough. We didn't even take any with our own camera :p

The night started with Social Hour. Because of some things that were going on, it was more like an hour and a half. We were in the entry to the above room, and we were able to socialize with all the people there and order from the bar if we wanted. After that, the receiving line formed. I have to let you know just how much I HATE receiving lines. They are so formal, and you are always looking for the right thing to say. It isn't something where you spend time talking with someone. You go through and you are expected to keep the line moving. Yet every time you shake someone's hand they usually say something along the lines of, "How is your evening going?" or "Isn't it a great night?" You then have to find the right words to say, and you have to find a nice quick answer. You don't really want to answer with "Yes." I am a talker by nature, so a one word answer doesn't suit me too well. I always feel so awkward trying to answer them. Sometimes it comes out all wrong, and I hope with the huge line behind me they will never remember what I said.

After we were all seated, dinner was served. We had a salad, awesome ham and brown gravy, chicken, noodles, boiled potatoes, cooked veggies, rice, vegetable lasagna, and cream of broccoli soup. It was a very filling meal. Everything tasted wonderful. Just about the time we were settling in for the gift baskets to be given away, desert came out. It was a Apple Tart with ice cream. It was so good. I can't even begin to explain the flavors in my mouth.

After the dinner and everything was over, we headed home. There was a dance, but my husband and I were not in the mood for dancing. We were ready to head home. We made it home, and curled up in our PJs. A great end to a great night!

No comments: