Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Holy Stuff Batman!

If I didn't know before, I know now. We have too much stuff. It just seems to be coming out our ears...or boxes. We have unloaded all the boxes and the stuff is just around. We have about 3 or 4 boxes to take to the thrift store. It is stuff that we should have got rid of before the move, but we didn't for one reason or another. Now we are doing it on this end. I guess doing it is the important part, so at least we are getting rid of it.

Today seemed like a busy day, but it probably wasn't really. My husband woke me up 30 mins before he needed to leave for work so I could get myself and the kids ready. We drove him to his office, and on our way back into the post where our home is, we were stopped again to be searched. This was the second morning in a row. If we get stopped tomorrow, I might start to think something is up. We'll see.

We went back over to his area for lunch today. Some days it makes for a good break in the day to venture over that way and have lunch with Daddy. I am happy to report that I did not get stopped at the gate this time. I guess I can't complain too much. It is very cold in the mornings though. I have to stand outside the van while they do all the checks. I am just very thankful they let the kids stay in the car in the car seats. That would be a pain to deal with.

Anyway, I have been trying to plan Genevieve's party. She wanted a Barbie birthday cake. I ordered the one that says it serves 17 people. I think I saw the size, and I don't know what they think a serving is, but it won't feed 17 people. We will have 12 people (counting us) for her party, and I'm worried that the cake won't feed us all. So I'm going to make some cupcakes too. We still need to go and get her a couple of gifts to open, and I need to get some decorations. We can't hang much on the wall, so we won't do that. I will get some pretty plates and stuff though. I might even put together some Goodie Bags. I don't know for sure though. Just think after all this, I get to do it again in less than a month for Samuel.

This week hasn't felt like Thanksgiving to me. I guess most of it is because we aren't doing Thanksgiving really here. I'm not cooking a big meal, and we have plans to go shopping and do other things. That is one nice thing about being in Germany. The Germans don't observe American holidays so when my husband is off, we can usually go out and do things. I went to the commissary tonight, and it was a mad house. There were so many people trying to find thing and buy things for their upcoming feasts. There were so many people, and for a moment I wondered why there were so many people at the store going crazy. Then I remembered.

"Just what are you going to do on Thanksgiving?" is the question I get all the time when people find out we aren't doing a meal. Well, it's easy really. We are going to be getting things done around the house, we will be shopping for a few things we need, and we will go out to eat at a German restaurant. I think we are going to try and hit up IKEA and Toys R Us on that day. As much as I love a good Thanksgiving feast, I love the idea of not having to clean it up more. I will cook on Christmas, but with all our stuff everywhere, I'm just glad I won't be adding to the mess. And that I am thankful for.

No comments: