Sunday, March 16, 2008

I HATE Moving

I don't always like to use the word hate. It always seems so strong. There are two things that I totally hate though...laundry and moving. Both seem to be never ending, and they both can take a lot of work.

We started our move process on Friday. They came out and did the inspection of our home to see just how much stuff we had. That night my Dad also came down to pack up and move our washer and dryer, freezer, and fridge. He also packed up some toys, a small table, and a few other things for the kids. It was pretty much smooth all weekend long. On Monday the crazy life of moving really took off.

Now I'm going to be perfectly clear right now. I am very thankful that the Army pays to have our stuff moved, and they pay to have movers come in a box everything up. I hate both those aspects of moving, and I am happy that there is someone who does it for me. Now, with that said, being moved this way almost seems like it is still as hard as if we were doing it ourselves. Let me explain...

If you are moving yourself, you can decide what goes into the box and what doesn't. As you pack, you can make a decision right then if you want that item, want to trash it, or if you want to donate it. You can move at your own pace, and you can keep things somewhat picked up as you go. You can pack in PJs, lounge clothes, or whatever you feel like for the day. When packing yourself you can leave the house if you need to for lunch or to take a break from it all.

Now lets say you are having movers do the work. First off you have to be up and ready for them. No PJs because I don't know about you, but I sure as heck don't think the movers want to see me in PJs. Another thing that makes moving this way so hard is having to make sure everything is put up and away that you don't want moved. If it is there, it is getting moved. This includes trash in trash cans, food in storage containers, and I have heard about ashes in an ash tray before. You also don't have the choice about where what goes. EVERYTHING goes in the box. Even if you don't want it moved, if it's there, it's moved. You also cannot leave at all when the movers are there. You can't break to get things done in town that you need to. You have to be around at all times.

Needless to say there are pro's and con's to everything. However, I will take this time to update you on the clutter I gave up for lent. This move put me over the top :) I am happy to report that we hauled off about 3 van loads and 2 car loads to the thrift store and food pantry. We also filled the trash dumpster (not just a little can) 3 times ourselves. If this isn't going through and getting rid of something, I'll never win. :p I am happy with how much went "away," and I can't wait to get our stuff in Germany and set up a new, clutter free home.

On the emotional side of moving, it was weird. My Dad is a pastor so we never stayed in one place too long. I don't really get too attached to a house. I have learned that a house doesn't make a home. A home is about who and what you have around you. Anyway, I was not sad to see the town we lived in go. We had been there for almost 2 1/2 years. That's the longest my husband and I have lived in one place. Anyway, as I was driving out of town with my van packed to the roof I felt a weird feeling. It was weird to think I'd never go back to that house. It wasn't really real that we were actually packing up and leaving. I think part of it is because of how much my husband hated his job there. I know a big part was because this was the house I had brought my babies home to. I had just started going to MOPS, and I loved that group of women. My neighbor was a wonderful woman with a great family. I had a babysitter I could trust and depend on. All these things made it a little hard to drive off and not be coming back. BUT I am happy to be moving on with life, and I'm happy about what is coming in the next year. Our family is about to embark on a huge adventure, and that is something to look forward to.

No comments: