Monday, January 9, 2012

PTA (Potty Training Anonymous)

It's the little things in life right? Well today I celebrated one of those little things. To really grasp how this little thing isn't so little, we need to go back four years. Let me take you on the journey. Four years ago my son was born. He made his first cell phone call within an hour of his birth. You see my in-laws were at our home an hour away keeping a watch out over our oldest. He was screaming (as most newborns do as they are brought into the world), and my hubby had called his parents to let them know they had a grandson. From the second I laid eyes on him, I knew he was going to be stubborn. You see we didn't know if we were going to have a girl or boy. As my OB put it, we were one of the rare couples that wanted to have the full surprise. We had many ultrasounds due to not getting goods pictures of his heart (that should have been the first clue), and the fact that I was measuring so far ahead. I was always 6 weeks ahead measurement wise. While my doctor and I did not agree on the due date, she knew that I was just really big. My hubby was a recruiter at the time and never got to go with me to anything. I was that woman who brought her infant almost toddler with her to all the appointments. Genevieve was amazing though and kept busy. She was never in the way and was alway good. It just so happened that on the day of the scan (the one where they can tell you the sex) my hubby was able to come. As we were looking at the pictures of our baby, my hubby let me know he thought we were having a boy and pointed out the evidence. I then had to tell him the evidence was actually the baby's nose. My hubby was right though, and we had a baby boy come the end of December. We had picked out names for both a boy and girl. We weren't totally sure on the girl's name and had many conversations about it even up to a day or two before. I just knew that if we had a boy, we would call him Ayden. I loved the name. I was excited when they handed me my not so little baby, and told me he was in fact a boy. The doctor then looked at me and asked me what his name was. As I looked at his face, I just knew I didn't hold an Ayden in my arms. I had to tell her I wasn't sure on the name. She asked my choices and then said that both were really good names. It took me about 10 mins, but I knew that my little Samuel was going to give me heck as much as he could. As a baby, he was calm and mellow. I typed something up in his first year describing him as my mellow child. He was a great sleeper, and he was just so calm. He'd nap while his sister was at school allowing me to nap, and just was a loving little guy. Something shifted in that first year, and the guy I've come to know and love emerged. He has just always wanted to do things his own way and in his own time. He walked and talked much later than normal. His therapist said it was normal for little boys to lag because of the lack of wanting to develop skill sets at the same time. When he did decide to walk, talk, etc, it was really quick. He is smart as a whip, and he picked things up quickly. We didn't even use the therapist for the whole year because he was soon not only developing, he was advanced. This brings me around to the whole point. I have tried to potty train my son for over a year off and on. He would do fine sitting for a few days and then throw a fit the next. As you can imagine, it was very frustrating. I had Genevieve potty trained fully (no accidents on a regular basis) in 3 months. This was a lot harder the second time around. Well, I think my stubborn son might have decided it's time to be a big kid now. He is now at 4 days accident free. I feel like someone who is at an AA meeting or something. "Hello, my name is Emily. I'm Samuel's mom. He is 4 days clean." We have fought at times about doing yuckies, and we have even made up a song to help. He even wore undies to church today. It was a big step to trust he'd be okay, but you have to start sometime. After he gets off the potty and does said yuckies and the song is sung, he immediately asks for my phone. He wants to call his Gammy to let her know that he was a big kid. The conversation lasts for all of 10 seconds, but he likes to let her know. Sometimes he then asks for Pappy and Grandma and Grandpa via phone. They are all great and make a huge deal out of it for him. He gets excited telling them that he was a big boy. Needless to say, I think he might have made up his mind. I hope so anyway. It's the little things like phone calls to grandparents that can make all the difference in the world. Let's just hope this means it is for real this time. I mean the kid did tell me he was going to get married in diapers after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, what a cute story. I can relate. Samuel will never suffer from high blood pressure since he's never in a hurry and takes life at his own pace. He will do things when he's ready. I have one just like that. They do it when they are ready, and not a moment before. Love you, aunt Becky