Friday, September 26, 2008

The Thrift Store and the Bus

I find it funny when I get a thought in my head, and I just have to do it. Yesterday I had one of those thoughts. I just HAD to go to the Thrift Store here on post. Every time I have been I have found a really great deal on something. The first time we went we got a transformer (normally 65 dollars) for just 25 bucks. We went back, and I saw a stroller that was normally around 200 bucks for only 35! If I wouldn't have just bought a nice double, I would have been all over that. I found a baby monitor there, and I have found some 220v extension cords. Needless to say, there is always something there that is a good buy.

Like I said, I just HAD to go yesterday. I didn't know why, but I just had a feeling I needed to go. When we walked into the store, I knew why I needed to go. Over in the baby section I found an umbrella stroller. Now I had been thinking about getting one for easy travel. There are just some times when I don't need the big double stroller. I had a nice umbrella stroller before we came here, but I just didn't want to pack anything more. I know they aren't that expensive, so I just thought I'd get one here.

I was so excited when I saw that stroller just sitting over there. I did know that I needed to look at the price though. Some things there are really great in terms of price and some times they are a little overpriced. (They have a consignment part, so I'm sure that is why). Anyway, I looked at the tag, and I just knew that stroller was mine. I got it for only 4 dollars. I was so excited, my husband was laughing at me.

Today was the maiden voyage of that stroller. Today was Samuel's 9 month Well Baby visit. I am happy to say he is right on track and a growing boy. We had to take the bus today because we still do not have a car. My husband was taking the same bus at the same time, so he helped us get to the bus, on the bus, and then we split ways at the hospital.

When we got done at the hospital, we had about 4 mins to get from the 3rd floor to the bus stop. I am happy to report we made it, and we didn't have to wait another hour to get to the bus. We road the bus back alone, and made it home. It wasn't too bad. It was a little rough with all the stuff and the lack of hands, but we did okay. I was thinking on the way home that maybe even after we get the van it might not hurt to take the bus from time to time. I don't mind the bus, and as long as the times are right, why not?

I told my husband yesterday I'd let him know when he got home just where I had to go today. I don't know as though I have anything in mind. I have a few hours to think about it. Got any ideas? :)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

What a great deal on that umbrella stroller. Speaking of strollers, did you get the clips I sent? Also, how wonderful that you made it on the bus and back again all alone. That's a true accomplishment!

As for where you need to go today, if you don't have anything else to do, I suggest getting on the bus and just riding around. That's a quick and easy way to see for yourself what's around and easily accessible. You can note the stops of places you want to return to, and even get out on the return trip. I found some of the coolest places by doing just that in France. Do you have a route map?

I'm envious of your adventure...