Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bad Mom Day

So yesterday was one of those days that I just felt like the worst mom in the world. Every now and then I think that I could have done something better or different, but not too many times do I feel like I just blew it. I know that most people have those days, and yesterday was mine.

It was a "normal" morning for us. We were up and moving around because I had taken my husband to work. I wanted the van, so we were up and about. We had taken him to work, grabbed a few things while we were out, and we had made it back home. I was thinking I'd be productive and do a few things around the house in the morning and get some extra stuff done. All of a sudden Samuel was screaming. He had hit his head.

I noticed right away that he had a nice sized bump on his head. It was already swollen and bruised. It looked awful. My first reaction was to rush in to the Urgent Care here on post and prepare to be there for a few hours while they checked him out. I took a deep breath, and I called the Nurse Advice Line. I really like that line because you can call 24 hours a day to ask them questions and get the advice of an RN. So I called there first. The lady that answered was great. She calmed me down and gave me a list of things to do with him. Best of all, it kept me from waiting for many hours at the Urgent Care. I will make my disclaimer now...If I would have for one second thought he was getting worse or needed to be taken in, I would have gone.

Last night was rough. I was still having to wake him every 4 hours to check on him. I didn't have to wake him up except the first time at night. After that, he was up anyway. It was a LONG night. Today it is every 6 hours. He is doing great, but I sure hope that sleeping goes much better tonight than last night. My hubby is joking that Samuel is just growing a horn.

No comments: